There’s about five dinners I can make consistently well. One of them is what I call Creamy Mushroom White Wine Pasta.
I found this recipe a few years back when I moved out of my parent’s house and started cooking more, and it’s remained a favorite amongst my boyfriend and my family. In fact, it’s been requested so many times by them that I thought it was about time to share it with you all too.
I love this recipe because it’s easy, quick, and has just the right amount of good fat to make it indulgent, but not enough to stop you from going back for seconds. The way pasta should be.
And it has wine in it. What’s not to love?
You could also easily swap the mushrooms for a different vegetable. But personally, I think the combination of the mushrooms and white onion together is what sets this dish apart.
The recipe below is set to make an entire 16 oz. box of pasta. You certainly don’t have to make that much. I do this so we have leftovers. And because it’s so good that I always want it again the next day (or later that night). Let’s be real.
Creamy Mushroom White Wine Pasta
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
- 1 box penne pasta (or whatever pasta you prefer)
- 1 cup Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup dry white wine (I typically use Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay)
- 2 cups parmesan cheese
- Onion salt
- Pour 3 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet pan and set on medium heat.
- Sauté the mushrooms and onion for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms have sweat and the onion is translucent.
- Add broth, heavy cream, and wine. Stir together.
- Add entire box of pasta and let simmer altogether for 25-30 minutes on low-medium heat until creamy sauce has formed.
- Add parmesan to desired level.